Wednesday 17 August 2011

AW11's Biggest Trends (Clothing)

"Another fashion post?" I hear you cry. Yes, because it's my blog and I'll write what I want to! I'm not even convinced anyone reads my posts, more is the pity, so I figured I might as well blog for me. Following on from my earlier post about the 60s/70s trends that will be big this coming season (Autumn is already here weather-wise in the Uk. Boo!), this post is going to outline the trends which I think are likely to catch on in the fashion world. Those of us who rely on the High Street (whether by sheer economics or by choice) can hope to pick up pieces which tap into these trends. I am coming to the point in my life where I don't necessarily want to follow every single trend for ever season and I'm starting to pick up key pieces which can be reused as they won't date quite so severely. However, here is the low-down for anyone who needs or just wants to know.

Gold Mine
Golden hues were all over the catwalk for AW and based on the array of models I have seen sporting these colours I would say that both pale and darker ladies alike shouldn't shy away from it. There are different shades to suit different skin tones; obviously, to quote Procol Harem, I am a 'Whiter Shade of Pale' and so I need to be careful which shade I do choose, but I could pull it off with a bit of confidence. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

(In order: Ruffle Cropped Blazer £22.99 from owntherunway.com; Illisa Pussybow Sheer Tunic Top £19.99 from missguided.co.uk; Mustard Belted Shift Dress £25.99 from owntherunway.com)

Sheers
Sheer fabric, be it see-through chiffon styles or lace, is going to be big next season. Louis Vuitton, Lanvin and Giles all featured it in their catwalk shows. The right underwear is essential for pulling off this look! Here are some examples below:



(In order: ASOS Sheer Cropped Shirt £25; Purple Sheer Blouse £17.99 from owntherunway.com)

Polka Dots
This trend often resurfaces and this year it will too. I'm not a massive polka dot fan oddly and I don't own an item, other than a scarf, with the print on but I do like certain pieces in this style.


(In order: Sienna Polka Dot Shoes £62 from Topshop; Polka Dot Blouse £29.99 from Zara)

Boyish Tailoring
I love a good blazer and some sharp, tailored trousers, however I cannot always get them within budget and with the correct fit as I have no bum/hips to speak of and carry all of my excess weight on my tummy therefore things fit on the waist, but bag on the crotch/hip.bum area. However now that the boyish tailoring trend is here, maybe I will have some luck! Here are some of my favourite pieces so far:


(In order: Capri Trouser £29.99 Zara; Tailored Jacket £19.99 from H&M)

Hope you've been enjoying these posts!

Nicole x

2 comments:

  1. loool i didnt realise that fugly ocher/mustard colour was meant to be gold! lol! its hideous!

    liking the post tho :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well I too would call is mustard but magazines and bloggers alike have referred to it as 'golden shades' from what I've read. I hated the colour too, but I think I'm starting to like it =S

    Thanks for the feedback! xx

    ReplyDelete