Thursday 16 June 2011

Esteé Lauder Double Wear Foundation Review


Hello all!

Finally a new blog post! Sorry about the delay, I've been really busy applying for jobs etc. now that uni is over and so that has to take top priority as I hate being unemployed and idle! Anyway, today I have a review for you of Esteé Lauder's Double Wear Foundation. I remember the exact day I started using this foundation. I had a free sample with Red magazine the day of the Royal wedding on April 29th and used it right away. The shade was too dark for me, but I blended it down to the neckline of my top and it looked fine. I fell in love with it that day, got a sample bottle a few days later, and purchased it recently. Here are the things I think you would like to know about this product:

Shade: I use the shade Shell, which I believe is one of the lightest shades that they offer. They have 19 shades available on the Debenhams website - http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_123008974799_-1?breadcrumb=Home~Beauty
Price: £25.50. Sadly, this is one pricey foundation! I bought it when I had £5 worth of Debenhams Beauty points to spend and also got an extra £5 worth of Beauty points as I spent over £25, so this lessened the blow. I paid this as drugstore foundations have not worked for me thus far and the samples I had of this suited my needs. It will last a long time, I should think.
Consistency: The foundation is pretty runny but this works well for me as this means it glides on well over a good primer.
Coverage: Provides different levels of coverage depending on your needs. I can make this a sheer finish with a light layer or by mixing it with moisturiser, or a relatively heavy coverage if you apply it with a heavier hand. Be warned that it can get a little cakey if you apply too much and set it with a heavy powder if you have a tendency to have dry skin around your nose and in between your eyebrows, as I do. As I tend to prefer dewy finishes, I find it works well with a little bit of light powder.
Staying Power: I cannot fault this. I use Benefit's That Gal primer underneath and the foundation stays put, bar a bit of shine on the forehead and nose after a couple of hours but that might be down to my skin type. I've worn this from early in the day late into the night comfortably and without feeling it had slid off or caked.
Packaging: Apart from the price, this is my major annoyance with this product. It comes in a rather large glass bottle which does serve to make it feel like a luxury purchase for someone such as myself. It is on the large side but I don't find this to be a great hindrance really, or not as yet. However, as it is a high-end product I would expect for there to be a pump action dispenser on it. I bring it home to find that I am left with a glass bottle with a gaping hole! I find it not only unhygienic to have a bottle neck like this (I will provide pictures below this post!), but it also encourages the use of far too much product as the runny consistency of the foundation means that far too much can come out when you tip it if you are not very careful with it. I was really disappointed by this.

So, I think that's everything! All in all, I would highly recommend this foundation, although bear in mind that I have severe combination skin which means I get super dry and cracked skin on my cheeks, despite a good skincare regime, as well as a very oily t-zone. I am hoping to find wonder products to fix this skin issue, but in 26 years I've found nothing yet! It is expensive for 30ml of product but I have thoroughly enjoyed the product thus far and it has converted me to foundation! I would say that the positives outweigh the negatives as the foundation is generally great with my extreme skin, but that is just my humble opinion!

What's your favourite foundation? Let me know! Until next time, take care =)

Nicole x

Picture at top of me wearing the foundation today! Pictures below are of the foundation itself. All photos are my own.



YouTube review of this product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeNdaOiXfyo

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that foundation makes your skin look flawless!

    You have a fantastic blog and I will definitly come back to read more of your posts! I wish you all the luck in the world with your blog (although I am sure you don't need it).

    All the best,
    Voe.
    _______________________________________
    http://lipstick-and-pearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, I've only just seen this comment! Thank you so much for your kind words, that is so nice of you. I really appreciate your feedback on my blog and will definitely take a look at yours.

    Best wishes,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete